Learning is not releasing a bird, but embracing freedom.
An ethos of an extended school day and week that benefits all learners across our school, marrying the energy of the school day with the breathing space afforded by Sport and Extended Learning Opportunities, and all in a unique central-Sun Valley setting that is well maintained and nurtured.
The nurturing of each learner’s interests and talents to the highest degree is critically important and all of whom are encouraged to make their school experience their own, supported by a staff who care about them as individuals and by an excellent system of iCARE and iConnect. Often more than two afternoons each week are devoted to sport with learners who are able to choose from an eclectic range of options at a level to suit them, while earnest learning opportunities across the most diverse platform under the sun becomes a staple of classical SVPS life.
- Bluechip Cricket Status as of 2019
- High level of Cricket: u11 and u13’s play a high level of cricket at the Saturday league
- Swimming: Currently 2nd in the Zone
- Waterpolo: U13A girls 2nd in the province for the past 4 years
- Ever growing Tennis: Unbeaten in 2017 and 2018
- One of the top co-ed Rugby schools in the Province
- Top Netball school in the Province
- A Developing Hockey Program which now is growing exponentially with the newly installed Multi-purpose Training Astro
- Top Soccer school in the province: u10 – u13 all unbeaten in league
- Squash: Currently 2nd in the league for 2018 and 2019
- Sport at Sun Valley is a massive part of day-to-day life within our school. A learner at SVPS takes part in at least one Summer and one Winter Sport. We encourage learners to partake in as many sports as they possibly can per term. This allows them to develop more holistically and they get to discover, through play, their chosen sporting passion.
- Movement and Play are the lifeblood of our learners’ experience at school, and this not only builds healthy children but enhances the learning in the classroom.
- Every day our learners venture out to the fields to complete the 1km Walk-it Circuit. This is a specially designed circuit to enhance fitness, build muscle and coordination and cross the mid-line to assist learning.
- In class, learners take part in several Movement activities. They perform Movement songs that are specifically designed to cross the Horizontal and Vertical Midlines. This “wakes up” the brain and aids learning in various subjects such as Literacy or Mathematics.
- They also perform daily Mind Moves, techniques developed by a friend of the School, Dr. Melodie De Jager. She specialises in enhancing learning through particular movements of the body. These also help our learners to feel safe and create a sense of belonging.
- We are a competitive Sporting school, where not only are our best teams selected to represent their respective age groups but all players are holistically developed under the guidance of our coaching staff.
What we offer
We offer a vast range of sporting activities including Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Mini-Cricket, Netball, Tennis, Waterpolo, Hockey, Volleyball, Swimming, Table Tennis, Tennis, Athletics – including Long Jump, Javelin and Shot-Put. The Sports Academy also offers private tuition in Squash and Golf. Sunbird Sport is offered at a Grade R level.
- Mini Cricket
- Mini Tennis
- Squad Swimming (Team)
- Table Tennis
- TAG Rugby
- Boy and Girls Rugby
- Mini Hockey
- Mini Netball
- Mini Soccer
- Table Tennis
Level One: During School
- Walk It Circuit (Grades 1—7)
- Visual Motor Programme (Grades 1—3)
Level Two: During School – Fitness & Skill Development
- Physical Education
- Swimming in Summer
- Tennis in Winter (Grades 1—7)
Level Three: After School
Learners are required to commit for the entire season
- Afternoon specialist sport programme offered at SVPS by SVSP Staff for competitive sport (Grades 1—7) Compulsory
- Soccer, Netball, Cricket, etc.